My Project

It sucks being a match-maker.  I can't help it, but I'm always trying to match my single friends.  I have two successful marriages for which I can take full credit.  At one of the weddings, the preacher even called me out during the ceremony! 

It's a curse though.  Recently, I've been trying to find a match for an old high school friend.  I thought it would be so easy.  I know him so well and since I was a 13 year old kid.  He's a decent and loyal person and he's even very handsome with a perfect jaw line, straight white teeth, greying blond hair and he weighs exactly the same as he did in high school.  A total "boy scout," he's never even smoked a joint, he played football at a major university and he happens to be a bone fide oil mogul with more money than he could ever spend...

So...apparently he somehow comes off too desperate for love.  I mean, he's looking hard.  I'm introducing him to beautiful, successful women who don't "need" a man, but who seek the companionship of one and they see the needy, insecure side of this almost perfect guy before the first course is served.  

What do I do with that?  I can't just throw him out there to the desperate girls.  That wouldn't be good for either of them.  Do I send him to a counselor?  He wants it to happen for him yesterday and so do I, but I want to be careful with him at the same time because I've known him for so long and I know it all comes from a good place.  He seriously seems defeated and outright depressed when a girl won't return his calls.  The girls are nice enough about it I guess, but just like, "um, no thank you."

This one is a challenge and I'm like the Roman gladiator at the coliseum of love.