What's left unsaid

I recently saw a girl wearing a t-shirt that said "Stop violence against women" on one breast, with the same message in Spanish on the other.

It's always interesting how t-shirts position their messages to draw the eye. (It reminds me a little of that t-shirt from 30 years back with a picture of a radio with two dials, with the message, "Don't touch the knobs!")

It was certainly a courageous stance to take: this girl was against violence against women -- as opposed to all the others who are for it.

The other thing that struck me about the message was its narrowness of focus. Why not be against all violence? While men commit the vast majority of violent crimes, they are also the victims of over half of them. Yet the t-shirt this girl wore almost seemed to imply that it's okay to ignore violence against men -- the majority of violence.

I have a similar reaction when I see people holding placards saying, "Stop black on black violence." What about black on white violence?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has that thought.